Thursday, October 21, 2010

Parsi Restaurant




The Parsis are members of the Indian Zoroastrian religion. This is an ethnic, as well as religious, identity, since in order to be considered a Parsi one must be descended from the original Persian emigrants who established the faith in India as well as a believer.

Through my guidebook, I learned that in Mahabaleshwar there is a Parsi restaurant, and it was one of the goals of the trip to go there. I was interested to try a type of ethnic cuisine that I probably wouldn't get a chance to try again. Also, my guidebook, which is always deprecatory, highly recommended this place.


They keep a picture of Zoroaster over the door.


Parsi style chicken appetizer. They're like very seasoned chicken meatballs.


Fish with tomato chutney, and some vegetables. Indian "salad" usually consists of chopped onions and tomatoes with a squeeze of lime. To give you an idea of how hot the chutney on this fish was, I was eating the onions to cool my mouth off.

This was the most expensive meal I've bought in India, but one of the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment