Thursday, October 21, 2010

I'm Pretty Predictable

Around the time that I came back from vacation in Mahabaleshwar, I realized that people had begun to recognize me. It isn't the same as fitting it, but it's nice to realize that people see you as a part of their routine rather than a total stranger. The guy who works at the grocery store now greets me by sight. One morning, a fruit vendor who didn't have an extra rupee (equivalent to 0.02 cents) to give me in change told me quite earnestly that he would give it to me when I walked by tomorrow, acknowledging that I do walk by him every morning at the same time. Another day, I approached the vegetable vendor who always gives me the best deal on what I want. He saw me coming, met my eye, nodded, and started putting green beans on a scale before I said anything to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment